12:02 08th Apr, 2014
SK Hynix Announces The World First 128GB DDR4 RAM Module
Brings mind-numbing data rates of 2,133 megabits per second for servers.
SK Hynix has certainly got gamers around the web drooling. Why you may ask? Well, they just showcased the world’s first 128GB DDR4 RAM module; and no it’s not just all show and no go. This puppy is has taken some big strides when it comes to RAM modules for computers. Sadly though such news only makes sense for server users as of today; so gamers will have to wait.
Based on the Through Silica Via technology (TSV) SK Hynix has created a DDR 4 RAM module that will significantly improve both the speed and efficiency of ‘capable systems’. Up till now, 64GB was the limit for server systems worldwide because of technical limitations and power requirements. Somehow SK Hynix has used 20nm 8GB modules to double the capacity of a single board which can now run at 2,133 Mbps. The result is what server users want; better data rates and space using fewer chips leading to better efficiency when it comes to running costs.
If you have not heard of SK Hynix before, such a development would definitely get them some attention worldwide. Mass production of the new modules is said to begin in the first half of 2015. This will also include the 64GB RAM modules that SK Hynix plans to manufacture. Believe us when we say this not some experiment because RAM modules based on such technology will be hitting the store shelves in a couple of years (say 2017-18). This is because in the consumer space, the rest of the hardware including hard disk drives (HDD) and Solid State Drives (SSD) have a long way to go to take advantage of such higher data rates.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance