10:51 08th Apr, 2014
Microsoft Discontinues Support For Windows XP From Today
This move could reek havoc across banking networks and ATMs; not very reassuring news then.
Microsoft will stop providing technical support for its most popular Windows XP operating system as of today, bringing an end to what is undoubtedly the greatest products to come from the Redmond giant.
Windows XP was launched in October 2001, and while it is three OS generations old, the number of systems still running it is a cause for concern. From today onwards customers will no longer receive security updates, free or paid technical assistance and other software patches.
"There is a sense of urgency because after April 8, Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) customers will no longer receive new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates," said Tim Rains, Microsoft Director, in an earlier blog post.
This leaves the door wide open for cybercriminals to attack systems still running on Windows XP, which unfortunately includes a large number of ATMs in the country. The number of systems running XP at large enterprises in India stands at 16 per cent, but the figure is much higher for the currency vending machines.
Last month, as news of Microsoft stopping support for Windows XP broke, the RBI had warned that banking operations including ATM services could be hit. However Indian Banks Association (IBA) chief executive M V Tanksale later clarified that only older ATMs could be affected as newer ones already run on different platforms.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones