Alnoor M Peermohamed
12:59 28th Mar, 2014
Office Mobile Goes Free-For-Use On Android Devices & The iPhone
While it may be completely free, you do need to have an Office 365 subscription.
News of Microsoft launching Office for the iPad may be big news, but it also sidelined another announcement where the company said it will now let you use Office Mobile on Android devices and the iPhone for free.
You still have to be a subscriber to Office 365 to get free access to Office Mobile (sorry traditional Office users), but installing the app does not eat into your five PC/Mac installation limit. Instead, the app can be installed on a maximum of five iPhone/Android devices from the same subscription, making perfect sense.
Apart from viewing the Word, Powerpoint and Excel files you have saved on SkyDrive, you can also make light edits. Additionally you can also create new Word and Excel documents, but not PowerPoint files for obvious reasons.
The app is already available for download on Play Store and iStore, but will be available for the iPhone only. For the iPad, Microsoft is pushing people towards its Office Web Apps for now.
The move makes perfect sense, making Office thoroughly cross platform compatible. While it may be a bummer if you're on a traditional version of Office, it shows how the company is pushing people onto its subscription service.
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week