Alnoor M Peermohamed
22:27 17th Mar, 2014
Mozilla Pulls The Plug On Metro Mode For Its Firefox Browser
This leaves you with Internet Explorer as the only touch intutive web browser for Windows 8.
Mozilla has announced that it will pull the plug on the Metro mode for its Firefox web browser. The company has cited the lack of users for the pre-release version of the touch-friendly browser shell.
Mozilla's Vice President, Johnathan Nightingale wrote in a blog that it would be a mistake to launch the Metro version of Firefox as it would mean doing so without much real-world testing. He said that on any given day there are millions of people testing pre-release versions of Firefox for desktops, the number of active daily users never exceeded 1000 for its Metro environment.
A large scale roll-out would require the company to fix bugs, follow up with a lot of engineering and design changes and engage in Q&A with users. However given the miniscule user base, it does not justify the massive investment the company has to make to carry out such tasks.
Johnathan added that development of the touch-friendly Firefox UI began in late 2012, and seemed like the next frontier of the web at that time. There is a danger that Mozilla could end up having to play catch-up if the 'Metro' theme does indeed take off in the future, but it's a risk the company is willing to take rather than making massive investments in a platform few users seem interested in.
Currently, Microsoft's very own Internet Explorer is the only touch intuitive web browser for the Windows 8 platform. Even the Metro mode on Google's Chrome browser is more like a Chrome OS than functioning as a touch mode.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance