Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
19:01 14th Mar, 2014
Rdio To Revive Indian Music Streaming Service Dhingana
The move will help the American company to expand its business in emerging markets.
If you’re into Hindi music, you might have heard of Dhingana.com. This music streaming service once offered a catalogue of over 1 million songs in 42 Indian languages. Unfortunately, the website closed down after one of the biggest music label in the country T-Series declined to renew the licencing agreement. However, it wasn’t the end of the road for Dhingana as the American streaming company Rdio has acquired it. Dhingana’s team in India will be joining Rdio to continue their good work. For Rdio, the deal is an easy way to expand its business in emerging markets. In case you didn't know, Rdio was created by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis.
With technical support and funds coming from an International company, we hope that Dhingana will be back with a bang. Other streaming services such as Saavn and Gaana have manage to keep afloat due to backing from big players such as Spotify and Times Internet.
The biggest challenge these streaming services face in India is the rampant piracy. While Indian officials has managed to shut a few Indian sites offering illegal Mp3 downloads, Pakistani sites such as Songs.pk continue to damage Indian music industry. Ironically, these websites make a lot of money by hosting ads. In past, India’s biggest online retailer Flipkart tried to distribute music at affordable prices vie Flyte. However, it had to shut down that service to losses.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones