Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
19:01 14th Mar, 2014
Rdio To Revive Indian Music Streaming Service Dhingana
The move will help the American company to expand its business in emerging markets.
If you’re into Hindi music, you might have heard of Dhingana.com. This music streaming service once offered a catalogue of over 1 million songs in 42 Indian languages. Unfortunately, the website closed down after one of the biggest music label in the country T-Series declined to renew the licencing agreement. However, it wasn’t the end of the road for Dhingana as the American streaming company Rdio has acquired it. Dhingana’s team in India will be joining Rdio to continue their good work. For Rdio, the deal is an easy way to expand its business in emerging markets. In case you didn't know, Rdio was created by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis.
With technical support and funds coming from an International company, we hope that Dhingana will be back with a bang. Other streaming services such as Saavn and Gaana have manage to keep afloat due to backing from big players such as Spotify and Times Internet.
The biggest challenge these streaming services face in India is the rampant piracy. While Indian officials has managed to shut a few Indian sites offering illegal Mp3 downloads, Pakistani sites such as Songs.pk continue to damage Indian music industry. Ironically, these websites make a lot of money by hosting ads. In past, India’s biggest online retailer Flipkart tried to distribute music at affordable prices vie Flyte. However, it had to shut down that service to losses.
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-