Alnoor M Peermohamed
12:55 12th Mar, 2014
Does Microsoft Want To Kill The Laptop With Its Surface Power Cover? | TechTree.com
Does Microsoft Want To Kill The Laptop With Its Surface Power Cover?
The connectivity and ease of use of a tablet, now enhanced with a physical keyboard and 70% longer battery life.
Tech giants like Apple, Microsoft, and Google have been at it for a few years now, and their unrelenting drive to kill off the laptop is only heating up. While tablets offer a lot in terms of mobility and connectivity, they've never really matched the all-round versatility and brute force of the laptop.
Microsoft has however gotten ever closer with the announcement of its Surface Power Cover that offers a physical keyboard with a whole lot of extra juice. The cover will snap onto the Surface Pro, or the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, and apart from acting as a keyboard it will also charge the tablets for extended using.
How may that kill the laptop you ask? Microsoft claims the Power Cover increases battery life of its Surface line of tablets by 70 per cent. Tablets have already been beating laptops on the battery life front, and with such a massive increment, some people are bound to opt for a tablet instead.
Microsoft is already taking pre-orders for the Surface Power Cover in the US, Canada and Japan at a price of $199.99. The tentative shipping date for the cover is March 19th.
There are however a few niggling bits about Microsoft's Surface add-on. Unlike the Type Cover 2, the Surface Power Cover doesn't get a backlit keyboard, is nearly two times thicker, and not to mention a lot heavier.
According to The Verge, Microsoft could also debut the Surface 2 tab equipped with 4G-LTE support alongside the Power Cover. The combination of the two devices could make for an ideal device for people who long for better and faster connectivity and greater battery life. Now only if Microsoft would fix those niggling compatibility issues with its tablet, PC and mobile operating systems.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals