15:11 27th Jan, 2012
Gap Between iPad And Android Narrows
However, Apple remains #1 by far.
The gap between the Apple iPad and tablets running Google's Android OS in the global market seems to be narrowing somewhat in the fourth quarter of 2011, as reported by research firm Strategy Analytics. Android's market share grew from 29% to 39% as compared to Q4 of 2010, whereas Apple's share slipped from 68% to 58%. However, the minor shift in balance hasn't stripped the Cupertino-based company of its commanding lead.
Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics said, "Dozens of Android models distributed across multiple countries by numerous brands such as Amazon, Samsung, Asus and others have been driving volumes. Android is so far proving relatively popular with tablet manufacturers despite nagging concerns about fragmentation of Android's operating system, user-interface and app store ecosystem".
While 66.9 million tablets were sold in 2011 alone, considering that Android OSes are carried across manufactures, it will take a lot more effort to surpass the iPad's figures.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance