Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
14:44 08th Jan, 2012
AOC's USB Monitor Won't Need A Video Card
In-built DisplayLink chip takes over the duties of a GPU.
AOC has announced a 22" full HD monitor that receives both power and signal through a single USB port. You heard it right, this 2000 nit panel incorporates a built-in DisplayLink chip that obviates the need for a discrete or onboard GPU. At the moment, it's not clear if the monitor will feature additional HDMI or DVI ports. If USB is the only video input option provided, gaming or anything else requiring external hardware acceleration will be out of the question.
If you're apprehensive about driver support, AOC claims that it will run without a hitch on Windows 7, XP, and Vista, in addition to Mac OSX Tiger, Leopard, and Lion. Most popular Linux distros will also be compatible out-of-the-box. I really hope this is the case, because it sure will suck searching for a driver without a display.
Dubbed e2251Fwu, the monitor is quick and simple to setup due to its plug-and-play nature as claimed by the manufacturer. This full-HD capable, LED-backlit monitor is only 10.5 mm thin. According to AOC, the monitor has a contrast ratio of 20,000,000:1, with 5 ms response time. What's more, it is said to consume 50% less energy than conventional CCFL backlit monitors.
The USB-powered monitor will be showcased at the 2012 International CES. It will carry a $199 (approx Rs 11,000) price tag when it goes on sale in US from February. There's no word on Indian availability yet.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones