21:50 13th Aug, 2013
LG Mobile PR Stunt Goes Wrong At G2 Launch Event
20 Korean freeloaders injured as they scrambled for free phones.
LG Mobile's Korea PR had its own taste of "World War G" at the launch event of its G2 smartphone. Just like in the recent zombie movie, free riders scrambled for a limited number of free handsets given away by the company at the Seoul event, resulting in 20 people getting injured. As per the PR stunt, 100 helium-filled balloons, each with a voucher to claim the flagship device, were to be released. The PR agency had promoted the event on social networks such as Facebook and Twitter to invite those who were interested in trying their luck.
It seems that the LG Mobile PR agency had underestimated the number of freeloaders who's turn up. They came well-equipped with various tools, including BB guns and bayoneted sticks to burst the balloons and get the vouchers. As the balloons were being released, with no security in place, the crowd descended burst a few balloons even before they were released. Others tried to pop balloons in the air with their BB guns. The ensuing frenzy resulted in 20 people getting injured. LG has cancelled similar events it had planned for the future. While we agree that World War G could be an exaggeration to describe the incident, check out the video below to witness what really happened:
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones