Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
14:29 06th Jan, 2012
WP Marketplace Hits 50k Mark
Approximately 10,000 apps added in just the last 40 days.
The Windows Phone Marketplace now houses more than 50,000 apps. From November, new arrivals are pouring in at a rate of around 265 apps per day. While this may not sound impressive when compared to its iOS and Android counterparts, it's still a milestone for a platform that's just over an year old. In contrast, the Android Market took 19 months to reach this figure, while Apple's App Store achieved it in 12 months.
Earlier, analysts had predicted that WP would surpass this mark in 2012. However, the recent spike in app submissions has accelerated the process. Reportedly, a major reason behind this flood of apps seems to be the extended reach of the platform, up from 16 countries to 35. Besides, the launch of Nokia's WP phones has also helped in generating interest among the developer community.
From being mostly paid in the early days, 58% of apps in the Marketplace today are free. In comparison, Android has 69% free apps, while the iOS has 43%. Interestingly, the growth rate of the Marketplace is better than that of the Android Market, which is definitely a good sign for WP users as well as manufacturers.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens