23:23 11th Oct, 2012
Hizbul Mole In BSNL Arrested
Was providing SIM cards and phones for use by the terrorist outfit.
The Jammu & Kashmir police has arrested a BSNL employee who was found to be a militant planted by the terrorist outfit Hizbul Mujahideen. His role was to collect SIM cards and WLL phones for use by the outfit's communications network in the north Kashmiri town of Sopore in Baramulla district. Sajad Ahmad Dar, who is allegedly an IT expert, had been working with BSNL Sopore on a contract basis for a year. He is suspected of providing 10 SIM cards and one WLL connection to Hizbul militants. His modus operandi involved securing the items on fake names and addresses, then supplying them to terrorists. It's suspected that he was helped by another individual in the telecom company, who is yet to be identified.
Incidentally, this is not the first time that such an incident has come to light in the troubled state. Various mobile operators had deactivated thousands of SIM cards this summer after it was reported that they were being used to by militants. Even earlier in 2007, airtel had disabled over 10,000 SIMs for similar reasons, while Reliance had deactivated a whopping 36,000 cards in 2009. The situation deteriorated to the extent that the government even contemplated a ban on pre-paid mobile phones in the valley. Such instances of infiltration into government-owned telecom companies is doubtless going to make the administration even more nervous than usual.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance