14:09 12th Jun, 2013
Book Train Tickets Via SMS Starting 1st July
No physical prints required; more details expected to be out soon.
Keeping its promise of getting more techno-savvy in the year's annual budget, Indian Railways will soon bring SMS-based ticketing service. Starting from 1st July, passengers will be able to book rail tickets from the comfort of their mobile phones, and no, you don’t need to print them out either.
A report on India Today says that a dedicated number for enabling the facility will be made public soon. The passenger will have to register his mobile number with IRCTC and one of its partner banks. The bank will then send a MMID (Mobile Money Identifier) and OTP (one time password) for payment authorisation. The booking details to be provided include train number, destination, journey date, and class, apart from passenger details, which includes name, age, and gender all via text messages. Once you receive the transaction ID, you will have to pay for the ticket, followed by another SMS that reads PAY, along with the transaction ID, MMID, and the password, to complete the booking process.
The service will be available to all users irrespective of the kind of cellphones they use. SMSes and payment gateway charges have been set at Rs 5 for bookings up to Rs 5000 and Rs 10 for anything above that. Additionaly SMSes to the service will cost you Rs 3 per message.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance