13:10 05th Jun, 2013
Facebook Virus Zeus Devours Bank Accounts
Spread through messages, it's been thriving for six years.
Facebook users have something to worry about as the social network has been affected by a Trojan horse named Zeus, as per Symantec, which identifies it as Trojan.Zbot. This virus is known to drain bank accounts and the bad thing is that it has been thriving on FB since the past six years. Zeus propagates through phishing messages that originate from an account that has been phished. Such a phished account will then start automatically sending messages to friends with links to ads telling them to check out a video or product. Of course, you should not click as doing so will get your account phished as well.
The virus lays in wait on the infected computer and springs into action once it detects an online banking transaction in progress. It then stores the user's login and password, which is then used by its creator to empty your bank account. Apparently, this has been managed by a group of cybercriminals known as Russian Business Network who are also involved in child pornography, identity theft, and other illegal activities. The virus was first discovered in 2007 and unfortunately is still going strong. Facebook has been aware of the issue but seems to have done little to get rid of Zeus, as per Eric Feinberg of Fans Against Kounterfeit Enterprise (FAKE).
As per its geographical distribution, the virus has badly affected USA and UK, and has moderately affected India, Russia, Canada, and France. Countries such as Australia, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia, and a few more European and South-East Asian countries are less affected. You can check out the map below:
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance