14:05 29th May, 2013
Facebook Takes A Stringent Stand Against Violence And Hateful Speech | TechTree.com
Facebook Takes A Stringent Stand Against Violence And Hateful Speech
The social networking site seems to be complying with the demands of an online Feminist group.
Social networking websites seem to be governing most people's lives these days. Just like the stock markets, every breaking news puts sites such as Facebook and Twitter in a tizzy. So it is not surprising that they would have the added burden of cleaning up things that create additional social stress. In an open letter, feminist organisations WAM! (Women, Action & the Media) and The Everyday Sexism Project has urged FB to take action against, "speech that trivializes or glorifies violence against girls and women", and called for training their moderators to "recognize and remove gender-based hate speech".
In response, Facebook has explained in an official note that although hate speech is a loosely defined term, any "direct and serious attacks on any protected category of people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability or disease" will be flagged. The social network has further offered to set up "formal and direct lines of communications with representatives of groups working in this area, including women's groups, to assure expedited treatment of content they believe violate our standards".
Let us just hope that these policies actually get implemented the way they are being described, as FB is known to adopt a different stance behind closed doors.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals