16:13 20th May, 2013
Yahoo! Buys Tumblr, Users Express Strong Dissent | TechTree.com
Yahoo! Buys Tumblr, Users Express Strong Dissent
The blogging service is quite popular with the youth; Yahoo! inks the deal for $1.1 billion.
If you thought blogging was dead, you'd be pleasantly surprised. As reports of Yahoo! taking over teen-favourite blogging platform Tumblr surface online (neither companies has made a public statement yet), Tumblr users have already started venting out their frustration on the social media. As Mashable reports, Twitter in particular is rife with dissenting posts that ideally reflects on the image hit that Yahoo! has suffered in recent times.
"Just saw on the news that Yahoo bought Tumblr. I feel like David Karp has just sold my soul away without my consent".— The Real Beyoncé (@hydrophobic) May 20, 2013
However, AllThingsD.com reports that Yahoo! will not interfere a lot with the blog service, and that it will continue to be a "Mostly Hands-Off Product" for the company.
"It's not even subjective- Yahoo RUINED Flickr. I want to believe they've learned from mistakes, they have that new CEO, maybe it's okay..."— Elle C (@AnotherElle) May 19, 2013
Clearly, users didn't enjoy what the software giant did with Flickr after acquisition, but that doesn't mean that the photo-sharing service doesn't have its share of loyalists.
That being said, Instagram users also staged several verbal (and online) protests, when the service was picked up by Facebook. But the service continues to enjoy a healthy fan following even today. How things turn out for Tumblr users in the future, only time will tell.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals