11:50 16th Apr, 2013
Microsoft Smartwatch On The Cards: Desperate For Wearable Technology? | TechTree.com
Microsoft Smartwatch On The Cards: Desperate For Wearable Technology?
Apple, Google and Samsung would seem to have already begun down the smartwatch path.
Microsoft may have gotten desperate for that little breather, and "break-out" in a technology industry it once dominated with its Windows operating system range. I say so so, due to speculation that Microsoft is developing its own smartwatch to compete against the likes of Apple, Google and Samsung - all of which have seemingly begun coming out with their smartwatch prototypes.
Wall Street Journal says that Microsoft is into the designing of a wearable touchscreen watch-like device. for which the company had earlier ordered 1.5-inch screens from various component builders. However, the timing of Microsoft bringing its own smartwatch into the market is unknown as of now.
Microsoft's speculated foray into smartwatch production doesn't necessarily mark the debut of the company in the wearable technology segment. In fact a couple of years ago, Microsoft had tried its hand at SPOT (Smart Personal Objects Technology) through which the company aimed to personalize household electronics and other everyday devices, through "smart" software and hardware that would make their usage more versatile. However the SPOT watches project was killed in 2008.
It seems that major technology companies have taken to the development of exclusive "Smart Watches" with the likely reason being to shore up slowing mobile sales or waning PC sales. Reports state that Microsoft's Windows 8 failed to provide the much required impetus to the PC market, and even blame the operating system as having hurt overall PC sales in the first quarter of 2013.
(Image Credit: A prior story about Pebble smartwatches.)
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals