15:34 07th Feb, 2013
BB10 Devices Will Not Support 4G Connections In India
Will not support the TD-LTE technology standard which is being used in India.
Users of 4G connections in India are in for a disappointment if they have been waiting for the newly announced BlackBerry 10 devices. According to a report on telecomlead.com, the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 smartphones do not support the TD-LTE technology standard which is being used in India to deploy 4G connections.
Currently, there are only two operators, namely, Bharti Airtel and Reliance Industries in India who have commitments to a 4G / LTE network. Of those, Airtel has already rolled out its 4G services in Kolkata, Bangalore and Pune using the TD-LTE standard. Reliance, however, is still in planning stages, with an expected launch of its 4G services in July this year. Similar to Airtel, Reliance will also be using the TD-LTE standard for its 4G services.
A note about 4G standards: WiMAX and LTE are the two types of 4G connection standards available commercially, of which LTE has seen a much wider adoption. In India we use the cheaper TD-LTE standard developed in China (which is one of the variants of LTE, the other being FD-LTE). TD-LTE uses a spectrum which is more widely available and thus cheaper. Moreover, TD-LTE provides only one stream for both Uplink and Downlink, whereas other LTE standards provide a separate stream for each.
In India, data capped 3G connections are relatively expensive and people think twice before signing up for it. Considering that 4G services are costlier, one wonders if 4G is a moot point for most users currently.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance