13:15 04th Feb, 2013
"Wine" Now Coming To Android, To Run Windows Software
With this popular application, users may soon be able to run Windows applications on their (Linux-based) Android devices. One speed breaker is the battle of the ARM vs x86 instruction sets.
Running Android applications on your Windows powered PC is pretty easy with software's such as BlueStacks. However, the reverse is a difficult task. To tackle this problem, Wine, a popular app for Unix-based operating systems, which can run Windows software under Linux OS is now being developed for Android.
What this potentially means is that, using Wine users should be able to run Windows software on their Android powered devices. However, it won't be as rosy as it seems, at the current development stage Windows applications ran at snail's pace on Android. This was seen at the demo showcasing Wine for Android by lead developer Alexandre Julliard, at the FOSDEM conference in Brussels.
However, tablet devices running Windows 8 Pro should not feel threatened anytime soon.
The difficulty lies in the instruction set being used for a majority of Android devices. Most of the Android devices these days are run on the ARM architecture. While there are x86 chipsets from Intel which are being used by some Android devices, their penetration is nowhere near that of the ARM. The developers behind Wine are banking on OEM's to manufacture devices with Intel's x86 Atom CPUs which will help them in development of Wine for Android. Until then Wine for ARM devices will be developed, but expect the development to be slow.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance