13:49 31st Jan, 2013
First iOS 6.x Jailbreak Announced
Hacker group evasi0n plans to release it next week.
A hacker group known as evasi0n has announced the first jailbreak for Apple devices running iOS 6.x. This comes just days after Apple announced iOS 6.1 on Monday. While we are aware that most of you know by now, but for sake of the the uninitiated, a device jailbreak is to circumvent some restrictions placed by Apple in order to add the ability to sideload apps. Sideloading means that such devices can install apps from unofficial channels, while the official channel is the Apple App Store. Of course, that means that jailbreaking a device lies on borderline grey area, but it is not considered illegal per se. This can be achieved usually by modifying the firmware (software that runs the device), and doesn't require modification of the hardware.
This jailbreak will be applicable to all iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and iPad mini models running iOS 6.0 and 6.1. Devices with earlier versions of iOS will therefore need to upgrade to the latest version before applying this jailbreak. The website mentions that it only requires 5 minutes to jailbreak a device connected to a PC running Windows (XP or above), Mac OS X (10.5 and above), or Linux (x86 or x86_64) via a USB cable. While the GUI for the hack is ready, it will soon be beta tested. It will be available in separate versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Like most other such jailbreaks, this one will also be available for free when it is released next week.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones