18:07 28th Jun, 2012
Aakash Gets 3 Lakh Pre-Orders
Outstrips the total tablet PC market in India.
Aakash, the heavily-hyped cheapest tablet in the world from India, has received a whopping 300,000 pre-launch bookings ever since it was announced on 6th October. Available at a price of Rs 3000, this tablet made by UK-based Datawind, will go on sale next month, even as a subsidised version is scheduled to be distributed free in schools and colleges. Thinking in terms of the number of pre-orders, it is greater than the total tablet PC market in India, estimated at 250,000 units. At present, the tablet arena in India is dominated by Apple, Samsung, and Reliance.
Datawind CEO Suneet Singh Tuli has stated that the bookings have been done without any advance payment, thus hinting that the actual number will be significantly less when the time comes to actually make the payment. The company has identified and plans to tie up with a data operator, possibly Aircel, who will charge a nominal Rs 99 per month. It hopes to make internet free on the device, hinting that the internet access will be unlimited. It is also experimenting with algorithms to compress data streams to reduce data usage and has claimed to thus far been able to compress a 700 MB file to 25 MB as it gets transferred to the tablet.
The government-run National Mission for Education has thus far received 10,000 tablets priced at Rs 2250 each. These are being used by students from colleges such as IITs, RECs, BITS Pilani, Teri University, and others. Meanwhile, the government is also considering a proposal to acquire the new version of the tablet with a faster processor, at the same price.
What are your thoughts about the Aakash tablet? Will you pre-order it or will you wait for an in-depth review before making a decision or wait for its newer and faster version next year?
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens