12:04 18th Jan, 2013
Location Tracking Apps Crop Up To Help Women Feel "Safe" | TechTree.com
Location Tracking Apps Crop Up To Help Women Feel "Safe"
After recent incidents, several app developers have come up with Android apps to help girls on the move.
Ever since the Delhi rape case shook up sentiments of most people, app developers seem to be taking time off to create smartphone apps that will help women feel safe in their own back yards. While I''d not get into the mentality-needs-to-change debate for now, a few of "safety apps" have cropped up in the past few days to help women who use smartphone on a daily basis. Although there are several apps such as FightBack and the recently launched ICE - Mumbai Police for Android users, more seem to be coming in to help women feel safe and take initial precautionary steps.
About a week back, a Pune-based software company Smart Cloud Infotech launched an Android app called Nirbhaya that sends out distress SMSes (very much like FightBack) and uses your phones GPS to ascertain your current location.
Today, three developers from Nasik unveiled a similar app called Me against rape. The app connects to a "helpline" and can send out an SMS. It also comes with a one-touch ''spy'' feature which can log location details, which the makers claim will help against eve teasing incidents. An iPhone and Windows Phone app is said to be in the works.
How many of these actually help in creating that sense of security, and how useful these apps really are in the event of an incident, is debatable.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals