Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
09:21 11th Jan, 2013
Nokia Sells 4.4 Million Lumias, Exceeds Sales Expectations For Q4 2012
Claims to have achieved "underlying profitability", touch-based Asha phones also help the company's fortunes.
It is quite evident that Nokia has been struggling to keep up its pace in the smartphone arena with respect to the iPhones and Android handsets. And after bleeding cash for several quarters, Nokia finally seems to be on a road to recovery. At least, that's what the company's Q4 2012 preliminary financial information suggests. The factors that helped the Finnish handset-maker achieved this "underlying profitability" includes better than expected results from smartphone division, cost-cutting, revenue from Nokia Siemens Networks, and a recent $65 million patent settlement payout from RIM.
According to reports, Nokia sold around 79.6 million cellphones. Of that, 9.3 million were full-touch Asha phones (like the 311). Number of smartphones sold accounted for 6.6 million units, including 4.4 million Lumias. Symbian OS also garnered 2.2 million sales, mostly boosted by the 808 PureView camera phone. Undoubtedly, the sales figures of Lumia are nowhere near that of Apple's iPhone or the Samsung GALAXY series. Having said that, the numbers are positive, considering the long-awaited Nokia WP8 phones were released around mid-November in select markets that too with limited availability. Now that the new range of Lumia phones have finally reached our country, Nokia's strongholds, India and China should ensure that the next quarter is even better.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones