13:50 12th Dec, 2012
India Successfully Test-Fires Single-Stage Agni-I Nuclear-Capable Missile
Surface-to-surface short-range ballistic missile was tested for full range of 700 km.
India successfully test-fired the Agni-I surface-to-surface ballistic missile from Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast, at 8:15 AM today. The short-range, single-stage missile with a range of 700 km was launched to test for its capability of traveling the distance, and also for its target accuracy. Launched by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) from a road mobile launcher, the entire operation was supervised by missile experts from the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). It is said that the target was achieved. There is also an intermediate-range, two-stage version that can extend the range to 1200 km to reach deeper into enemy territory.
Fifteen metres tall and weighing 12 tonnes, the Agni-I is capable of carrying a 1 tonne nuclear or conventional warhead. It is claimed to be part of the "Minimum Credible Deterrence" doctrine, which essentially means that it is designed to be quickly deployed and launched via a rail or road mobile launcher — giving almost no time for the enemy to react. It flies at a hypersonic speed of Mach 7.5 (7.5 times the speed of sound), which comes to 2.5 km/s. Guided by a Ring Laser Gyro Inertial Navigational System that may also use GPS, the missile has got the tools to reach its intended target with pinpoint accuracy. It is powered by solid fuel, which means that it flies at an altitude low enough to receive a sustained supply of oxygen for combustion.
The Agni-I is handled by the 334 Missile Group at Secunderabad, and comes under the command of the SFC.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones