Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
00:03 16th Sep, 2012
Sarkaar Launches Aakash
The 7" ultra-low-cost tablet is finally a reality.
India's much awaited super-cheap tablet is now officially launched. Originally known as Sakshat, the device has now been named as Aakash. Manufactured by UK-based DataWind, the tablet costs the government Rs 2250 per unit. A total of one lakh units will be acquired initially. During the launch event, the generous HRD Minister Kapil Sibal distributed 500 gadgets in New Delhi.
Aakash is powered by a 366 MHz CPU with a graphics accelerator and 256 MB of RAM. Its 7" resistive touchscreen display has pixel dimensions of 800x480. Other features include GPRS, Wi-Fi, a 3.5 mm jack, USB port, and 32 GB memory card support. The device will run Android 2.2 (Froyo) and will be capable of displaying 720p video.
Here's the list of supported file formats:
- Document formats: DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, ODT, ODP, PDF.
- Image formats: PNG, JPG, BMP, GIF.
- Audio formats: MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA.
- Video formats: MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, FLV.
The device will initially be made available to post-secondary students at an expected price of Rs 1750. It will also go commercial by end of November, when it is expected to retail at Rs 3000. A keyboard portfolio case for the tablet will also be made available during the commercial launch at an additional cost of Rs 300.
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-