13:10 27th Jan, 2022
Indian government working on its own operating system to rival iOs & Android | TechTree.com
Indian government working on its own operating system to rival iOs & Android
Many have tried to take on Apple and Google’s operating systems. None have succeeded.
This story first appeared on The Economic Times.
The Government of India is working to break the duopoly of Android and iOS by attempting to create its own operating system.
This won’t be the first time someone has taken on the might of Google and Apple and it certainly won’t be the last time either.
Blackberry 10 and Windows Phone tried and failed miserably.
The question is whether this latest challenger has what it takes to succeed. Is there space for one more competitor? Is there anyone fit to wear the third crown?
IT Rajeev Chandrasekhar and Union Minister of State for Electronics have confirmed that the government is planning a policy that would facilitate the creation of a homegrown mobile operating system.
The government is currently evaluating start-ups and academic institutions to find out who has what it takes to compete with iOS and Android.
“There is no third one [mobile operating system – ed]. Therefore, in a lot of ways there is tremendous interest in the creation of a new handset operating system. We are talking to people. We are looking at a policy for that.” Chandrasekhar stated.
Chandrasekhar also hinted that companies working on an Indian OS may attract the attention of foreign investors as well as domestic ones too, in order to raise capital.
This ambition fits in with PM Modi's overall mandate to create domestic leaders across multiple industries and product categories, as well as bolster India’s tech industry.
The Indian government had recently unveiled a roadmap to hit the $300 billion mark in electronics manufacturing by 2026, currently it is $75 billion. Likewise, India hopes to hit the $120 billion mark in electronics exports, currently it is $15 billion.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals