Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
19:01 19th Oct, 2011
Ice Cream Sandwich Unwrapped | TechTree.com
Ice Cream Sandwich Unwrapped
New Android OS to support phones as well as tablets.
Google has released the latest version of its OS, Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It will work on tablets as well as smartphones.
The latest version reportedly contains the best of both Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and Android 3.0 (Honeycomb). Here's the list of new features as well as improvements:
- A new font optimized for HD displays.
- Possibility of eliminating hardware buttons in favour of software buttons (like the Nokia N9).
- Interactive notifications and resizable widgets.
- Ability to access apps directly from the lock screen (Similar to HTC's Sense 3.0 UI).
- Introduction of Android Beam, which uses Near Field Communication (NFC) to pair devices (as seen in Nokia's NFC-enabled devices).
- Face detection, panorama mode, and time lapse video features for the camera app.
- A new mail app allows you to search in offline mode, and a redesigned calendar app features a new swipe gesture for navigation.
- Deep Google+ integration.
- A facial detection feature to unlock the phone (similar to the FaceLock app in Symbian devices).
- A data usage tracker to see how much data has been used over a period of time.
Google has done the right thing by fusing its phone and tablet operating systems. This will help Android tablets get more apps, considering that Honeycomb didn't get much love from developers due to the fact that it was meant only for tablets. Here's the link to download the Android 4.0 SDK if you are so inclined. The Galaxy Nexus will be the first phone to sport this OS - however, there is no word on whether existing devices will get it as an update.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance