08:16 25th Feb, 2020
Huawei Foldable to Launch Outside China Soon
Reports suggest that the Mate XS could be making its debut in the UK soon as the Chinese maker seeks to cash in on the flip phone demand
First things first – No! The Mate XS isn’t yet making its way to Indian shores. It is more likely that the Chinese phone maker would be launching its first foldable device in the UK though what the pricing would be or when the flip phone would be available continues to be shrouded in mystery, as is often the case.
So where did the rumor originate from? Andrew Hoyle notes on CNET.com that the folding Mate XS which appeared in Paris last year could start shipping to geographies outside of China and believes that the UK would be amongst the first, given that the Chinese aren’t keen on making the device available in the United States due to their trade disputes.
The article says that the Mate XS has received some upgrades including a strengthened display and the latest Kirin 990 processor with some tweaks around the edges to ensure that the foldable phone remains protected from dust. However, the price tag of $2850 for the device could seriously restrict the product’s mass acceptance.
The Mate XS is an upgrade over Huawei’s Mate X that was announced in February last year and released in November only in China. Most reviewers didn’t bother about this device as it was hardly revealed outside its region of manufacture. However, with the Mate XS slated for a broader launch, media outlets have taken trouble to provide a closer look.
Writing in Engadget.com, Mat Smith says the new edition has an 8-inch unfolded display that makes the 6.6-inch phone into a broad smartphone screen. It boasts a release button that flips the device open with a hinge that appears to be robust enough to handle more such flips than what its rivals can. Smith quotes Huawei to suggest that the number of components in the hinge has risen from 100 to 150 adding some heft to the hinge.
The screen isn’t perfectly flat but the seam appears subtler than the Galaxy Z Flip though there is no ultra-thin glass later though Huawei claims that its screen is better protected with four layers and one made of a polyamide material. Smith notices that the hinge on the back is exposed and one could see some of the internal organs of the device!
From a hardware point of view, there are some upgrades including a 4500mAh battery and a new cooling process to keep the device from heating up around the hinges. The new Kirin 990 5G chip is what powers the device which also boasts of a camera array that includes a 40-MP main shooter, an 8-MP telephoto and a 20-MP ultra-wide lens.
The article also speaks about how Huawei has upgraded the apps to seamlessly shift between the narrow mode to a broader one depending on whether the device is in full screen mode or the smaller one. “Huawei has put work into its own apps to better fit the foldable's unorthodox screen size and help strengthen the proposition of the thing,” says Smith.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance