11:42 17th Jan, 2020
Buying A Chimney? 10 Things To Consider
Imagine you are making tasty Indian food in your kitchen to enjoy with your friends. Will you enjoy the delicious meal
Imagine you are making tasty Indian food in your kitchen to enjoy with your friends. Will you enjoy the delicious meal if your surroundings are filled with smoke from the food you cooked or will you enjoy your meal if all the smoke was absorbed by the chimney that provided you with clean surroundings? Of course, you would prefer clean surroundings to eat. This indicates that having a chimney in your kitchen is very important, especially in Indian kitchens.
Cooking Indian food generates a lot of smoke. Also, a lot of frying is done and many spices are used. While the Indian food is very delicious, it leaves signs on the kitchen tiles and ceilings. This is where the chimney comes into play. A chimney is an appliance that completely absorbs the smoke and grease generated while cooking and makes the kitchen free from smoke, oil, and odor. Many companies manufacture different types of chimneys thus choosing the correct chimney for your kitchen can be a challenging task.
10 things to be considered while buying a chimney
The top product selection is done by Rahul Sharma and the team of Chooseit. They have spent hours of research in identifying products that are important for the Indian kitchen. A chimney is an often-overlooked addition to the heart of an Indian home. It is important because it makes it easy for the homemaker to prepare the best meals. They have also shortlisted the features that buyers should look at before purchasing a chimney. Here are some of them:
- Types of chimneys- choosing the correct type of chimney is the first and one of the most important things to consider. What type of chimney you are going to buy depends on different factors like the structure of your kitchen, location for fitting, and location of the kitchen platform. Before deciding the type of chimney you want to buy, you need to figure out all these factors. Once you have understood these factors, you can choose what type of chimney you need. There are 4 types of chimneys:
- The first one is a wall-mounted chimney that fits against the wall or adjacent to the wall.
- The second one is an island chimney that hangs from the ceiling above the kitchen platform that is in the center of the kitchen.
- The third one is a built-in chimney that is built in the kitchen furniture and is located against the wall.
- The fourth one is a corner chimney that is located in the corner of the kitchen above the cooking platform.
- Types of chimney filters- after deciding the type of chimney you want to buy, you need to figure out the type of chimney filter you want. The types of chimney filters are based on their material, structure, and the filtering process. There are mainly 3 types of chimney filters:
- Mesh or Cassette Filters- usually these filters have layers of aluminum or stainless steel mesh filters. The gaps present in the mesh allow the air to pass and capture the grease and oil. The dirt gets stuck in these filters and as a result, they are very high maintenance. Also, the dirt and grease stuck in the filter decrease the suction capacity of the chimney. These filters should be cleaned once a week using detergent water and scrubbing.
- Baffle Filters- most of the Indian households have a chimney with the baffle filter. They are best for Indian cooking and are said to be 30 percent better than a mesh filter. These filters are made in curve structure that allows the smoke to escape easily while restraining the grease from escaping. Also, these filters work perfectly without having any impact on the suction capability of the chimney. Baffle filters are very easy to maintain because they need to be cleaned only once in 4 months. Nowadays, there are detachable baffle filters available that can easily be cleaned by you at home without the help of an expert.
- Carbon Filter- these filters are made of charcoal and are also called the charcoal filters. They are the same as the carbon filters used in your water purifiers. The main purpose of these filters is to remove the bad odor from the food and they are preferred to be used along with other filters. Also, these filters can be used in both duct and ductless chimneys. The grease and oil particles can stick to the charcoal filters that make it necessary to change these filters every six months.
- The design of the chimney- one of the essential factors to consider while buying a chimney is the design of the chimney. Depending on your cooking style and kitchen décor, you can choose the best chimney design that suits you. Mostly there are two designs of kitchen chimneys that are popular, conventional kitchen chimney and contemporary kitchen chimney.
- The suction power of the chimney- suction power is the capacity of the chimney to suck grease, smoke, and odor. It is measured in cubic meter per hour. The suction power of the chimney mainly depends on the size of the kitchen and the size of the house. A chimney with a long hose generally has more suction power. For a large home, a chimney with a suction power of 700 to 1000 cubic meters per hour would work well. But for a smaller home, a chimney with a suction power of 500 to 600 cubic meters per hour would be sufficient. Therefore, you should know the size of your kitchen and your home to choose a chimney with the correct suction power.
- The size of the chimney- the size of the chimney is very important because it helps in absorbing the dirt particles and the smoke efficiently. The most important thing you need to keep in mind is that the size of the chimney should be the same as the size of the cooking stove. If the size of the chimney is less than the cooking stove then the dust particles and smoke will not completely exit the house and will get scattered over the house. Thus the kitchen chimney can be larger or it can be equal to the size of the stove but it should not be less. A 3 feet stove should have at least a 3 feet kitchen chimney. The standard chimneys in the market come in 2 feet or 3 feet in size.
- Motors and blowers of the chimney- a motor should be sealed so dust doesn’t enter it. A chimney with aluminum non-stick blower and motor can save you from the process of periodic servicing of internal parts.
- Speed of the chimney- depending on your budget, you can buy chimneys with different suction speeds. The starting ones come with single speed option but more expensive ones have more than one-speed options to ventilate the kitchen faster.
- The noise of the chimney- chimneys can be very noisy. The noise is mainly of the air circulation and can be reduced by installing a silent kit. You should choose a chimney that is less noisy or comes with a silent kit already installed.
- Warranty of the chimney- you should buy a chimney with a minimum of 12 months warranty but there are chimneys with lifetime warranty available in the market.
- The budget of the chimney- chimneys are available ranging from economical to expensive ones. The price of chimneys in India starts from INR 4000 and can go up to more than INR 1 lakh. According to your budget, you can decide which chimney is the best for you.
How to buy the best chimney?
Choosing a chimney for your kitchen can be tricky. There are all kinds of chimneys from very expensive ones to cheap ones. Different people have different requirements so a chimney that might be perfect for someone may not be that good for someone else. Thus buying a chimney requires some research from your end. First, you need to study all the things listed above to be considered while buying a chimney and decide on a budget.
Second, you need to read reviews. There are many websites available online that give you a detailed description of different types of chimneys available and provide reviews from experts and customers. These websites help you choose the best product available in the market according to your preference. Different websites rate products in different ways. It all depends on their rating criteria and the experts they use. You should look for a website that spends a lot of time researching the products and rate them according to the benchmarks set by them.
Third, after choosing the best chimney you need to find where you can get good discounts and offers to purchase it.
Where to buy chimneys?
Many brands manufacture chimneys thus there are way too many options in the market. You can buy a chimney in person in stores or online. Many brands have their kitchen appliances store that sells their chimneys. Many other stores sell different brands of chimneys under the same roof. You can choose the supplier that gives you the best deal. You can also buy chimneys online. Some websites provide amazing offers and discounts that help you save a lot of money. A few of the most reliable and genuine websites to buy chimneys are Amazon.in, Croma.com, Flipkart.com, and Snapdeal.com.
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-
- ADCOM Launches “Vision” - LED Headphones for Ultimate Gamers
- LAVA Launches Z71 with Dedicated Google Assistant Key
- Detel launches Amaze – Truly Wireless Bluetooth Speaker in India
- Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ crosses One million users
- Fujifilm India unfold its innovation prowess by showcasing Photo Imaging Product Portfolio at CEIF 2020
- DOLBY RAISES THE BAR FOR IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES AT CES 2020