11:46 20th Dec, 2018
Google Maps Now On Auto Rickshaws In Delhi | TechTree.com
Google Maps Now On Auto Rickshaws In Delhi
The feature will be available in the Google Maps app on your Android devices
Many of us rely on auto-rickshaws for their daily commute and have to face challenges such as fare negotiation, and guiding the drivers along the most optimal route.Starting today, commuters in Delhi will be able to see a new public transport mode in Google Maps -- auto rickshaws. By selecting this mode of transport, commuters will be able to view suggested routes for the ride as well as the estimated auto-rickshaw fares, making it easier for people to plan their trips. The new feature can be found within the ‘public transport and ‘cab’ modes in Google Maps and is based on the expected trip route and the official fare model shared by the Delhi Traffic Police. The feature will be available in the Google Maps app on Android devices.
Commenting on the launch of the feature, Vishal Dutta, Product Manager, Google Maps said, “The idea of this feature is to incorporate one of most commonly used modes of public transport in Google Maps and share transparent information about the price of the journey. Currently, for an unfamiliar journey, commuters often overpay and don't have an idea about the distance or best route. The feature will also help the users plan their journey better, so they could look at the expected cost of the auto-rickshaw ride and decide whether they want to take it all the way, or perhaps take a different mode of transport instead -- like a bus or the metro.”
To use the feature, users need to update Google Maps to the latest version (v.10.6), open the app, search for a destination, then tap on directions and go to the public transport tab. Commuters will be able to see the auto-rickshaw result in the "Also Consider" section. After choosing the mode of transport (auto-rickshaw icon) on the screen, they will be able to see the estimated price of the journey and the route’s traffic information. Then simply tap ‘Navigate’ to start the trip. The same option can also be accessed through the “cab” mode on Google Maps.
Google Maps globally provides over a billion kilometers worth of transit results every day and has schedules for over 3 million public transit stops worldwide. Google Transit is a feature of Google Maps designed to help users plan public transport trips quickly and easily. It is now available for hundreds of cities across dozens of countries, with new partners joining all the time. Google continues to work with public transport services in other cities to enable real-time transit information for their services and will announce these, as and when they become available.
So, the next time you are travelling in the capital using an auto-rickshaw, get help from Google Maps to quickly learn the expected price and the fastest route.
TAGS: Google Maps
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals
- Europe may require all phone manufacturers to use USB-C charging
- Amazon Announces Prime Video Channels – A Video Entertainment Marketplace in India