Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
16:16 28th Jun, 2017
European Commission Slaps A 2.4 Billion Euro Fine On Google
EU states that Google abused its market dominance as a search engine.
One of the biggest companies in the technology world, Google has been fined by European Commission on grounds of breaching antitrust rules.
Google has been often found itself embroiled in controversies including an incident in UK where its StreetView cars stole data from thousands of laptops during a drive by. However, it has been mostly let go with cheap fines. Not this time though, as European Commission has slapped a whopping 2.42 billion euro penalty on the search giant.
Google has been advised to end the conduct within 90 days. Otherwise, the company will face penalty payments of up to 5% of the average daily worldwide turnover of Alphabet (Google's parent company).
According to the report, Google rigged the search results to benefit its product comparison service Google Shopping. When a consumer enters a query into the Google search engine in relation to which Google's comparison shopping service wants to show results, these are displayed at or near the top of the search results. At the same time, it has demoted rival comparison shopping services in its search results. While these websites fight off each other for better rank, Google does not apply its generic algorithms to own services.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones