Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
16:16 28th Jun, 2017
European Commission Slaps A 2.4 Billion Euro Fine On Google | TechTree.com
European Commission Slaps A 2.4 Billion Euro Fine On Google
EU states that Google abused its market dominance as a search engine.
One of the biggest companies in the technology world, Google has been fined by European Commission on grounds of breaching antitrust rules.
Google has been often found itself embroiled in controversies including an incident in UK where its StreetView cars stole data from thousands of laptops during a drive by. However, it has been mostly let go with cheap fines. Not this time though, as European Commission has slapped a whopping 2.42 billion euro penalty on the search giant.
Google has been advised to end the conduct within 90 days. Otherwise, the company will face penalty payments of up to 5% of the average daily worldwide turnover of Alphabet (Google's parent company).
According to the report, Google rigged the search results to benefit its product comparison service Google Shopping. When a consumer enters a query into the Google search engine in relation to which Google's comparison shopping service wants to show results, these are displayed at or near the top of the search results. At the same time, it has demoted rival comparison shopping services in its search results. While these websites fight off each other for better rank, Google does not apply its generic algorithms to own services.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals