Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
22:02 15th Jun, 2017
Hollywood Director Turns To YouTube For Experimental Films | TechTree.com
Hollywood Director Turns To YouTube For Experimental Films
Neill Blomkamp known for District 9 has released a short film on YouTube.
Geek God, Neill Blomkamp, has turned to YouTube to keep his creative filmmaking alive. The District 9 director is known for his unique story ideas fused with visceral imagery. However, since Hollywood is now too busy milking sequels and reboots, Neill has started his own studio Oats.
This studio is a playground to the dozens of creative people including digital animators and prop artists to tinker with crazy ideas. The idea is to come up with experimental short films that can later be turned into feature films. The studio's first short film is out to be enjoyed on YouTube for free. It is no fun revealing too many details in text, but we want you to know that it involves reptile people enslaving humanity and a lot of space guns. For a YouTube short film, its production quality and attention to detail in CGI puts most Hollywood productions to shame. If you like it, support it by purchasing film assets such as 3D models, script, and high-quality video from Steam.
This isn't a new concept for Neill as his breakthrough science fiction masterpiece District 9 was based on his short-film Alive In Johannesburg. Because of this video, Peter Jackson, the creator of Lord Of The Rings trilogy, contacted Neill to direct Halo movie based on Microsoft's popular Xbox video game of the same name. When the project got shelved due to studio politics, Peter Jackson bank-rolled Neill's project District 9. The movie went on to earn best film nomination in Oscars.
Rooted in sci-fi elements, Neil's movies have deep social commentary. For instance, District 9 highlighted racism among us humans with the help of Aliens. His second film, Elysium, also used space station allegory to make you think about the disparity on Earth.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals