Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
23:18 29th Mar, 2017
Samsung Hopes To 'Burn' The Competition With Its Galaxy S8 And S8+
The Korean brand's flagship phones are packed with features.
Samsung has unveiled the most anticipated smartphones of this year. Dubbed as the Galaxy S8 and S8+, these handsets will compete with Apple's top-end phones. More importantly, the S8 series will have the task to win back the consumer trust following the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco. All it has to do is burn the competition and not the consumers.
Both these handsets come with OLED screens with minimal bezel, which Samsung likes to call Infinity Display. The S8+ sports a 6.2-inch display whereas the S8 settles for the 5.8-inch screen. It is also among the first wave of phones to feature Corning's Gorilla Glass 5 on both the front and back.
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are equipped with an 8-megapixel front-facing camera for selfies. The 12-megapixel main camera has a dual-lens setup. It also boasts of OIS (Optical Image Stabilisation) for improved low-light performance.
Depending on the region, the S8 phones will be powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 or Samsung's in-house Exynos 8895 Octa. Most probably North America will get the Qualcomm version whereas Exynos variant will be sold in Europe and Asia including India.
Much its predecessor, the new Galaxy flagship phones are IP68 certified for water and dirt-resistance. The phone has a microSD card slot. The 3000 mAh battery supports fast and wireless charging capabilities.
Like most phones, the S8 and S8+ are loaded with Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor, and whatnot.
Much like Microsoft's Windows Continuum feature found on the Lumia 950, the S8 comes with DeX, which turns your phone into a desktop. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ will be available starting on April 21, and will be offered in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue and Maple Gold. At this point, Samsung hasn't shed any light on the pricing bit.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones