16:25 09th Jan, 2017
Govt Asks Local Phone Makers To Launch Phones Under Rs 2K
The government plans to bring cashless economy to the masses via sub 2k phones with fingerprint scanners.
To go completely digital, we need more devices that enable digital dimension, and the government seems to have realised it at last. You know right - better late than never.
The government has asked Indian smartphone companies to come up with smartphones that can enable a cashless economy, while priced under Rs 2,000. The announcement was made recently in a meeting held by Niti Aayog, reports The Economic Times.
With this announcement, the government is looking forward to enable digital cashless economy even in the rural areas of the country.
The report also adds that two government officials who are aware of the discussion happened in the meeting said, Indian smartphone companies are being pumped to deliver at least 20 - 25 million handsets into the market.
Additionally, the government is asking the home-grown smartphone companies like Intel, Micromax, and Karbonn to introduce ways to actually bring down the cost of the phone. At the same time, these smartphone should be capable of carrying out financial transactions digitally.
To recall, the government has already rolled out the Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) app to bring in the digital shift in the Indian economy.
[Master image for representative purpose only]
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones