15:39 23rd Dec, 2016
Google’s Wi-Fi Now Available At 100 Railway Stations In India
This Google project ensures that 10 million get access to the internet everyday.
Google’s initiative of connecting India’s Tier-II and Tier-II cities to the world wide web, bears fruit as Ooty (Udhagamandalam) becomes the latest Railway station to get free WI-Fi access. This development marks the 100th station that the project will be rolling on to, thus connecting millions to the Internet by helping them download a timetable or even books or games for their journeys. Out of the many people interacting with the web, almost 15,000 are known to be connecting for the very first time.
Google has partnered with Indian Railways and RailTel, which would ultimately take the count of railway stations to 400, having high-speed wi-fi connections. The current list of names includes Jaipur, Mumbai Central, Pune, Kacheguda, Vijaywada, Bhubaneshwar, Ranchi, Raipur, Ernakulam Junction, and Bhopal, other than Ooty which is the latest addition. These connections have already, in the true sense, changed people’s lives as quoted on the Google blog, which had examples like Somesh Singh, the engineering graduate, who uses the wi-fi facilities at Hazrat Nizamuddin station in Delhi. He uses it to look for job opportunities and prepare for interviews. Ajay Jain, a teacher who commutes between Indore and Ujjain, uses the wi-fi on his long journey to get the school work done. And there is Sandesh Awasthi, a cricket fan, who uses the facilities at Churchgate station to stream his favourite online games.
With the way forward, Google will be launching the project alongside other partners, who will then jointly roll-out wi-fi facilities at public places. With the RailTel story underway, if not anything, the Indian people will now have access to a world, which was earlier totally alien to them, and perhaps even start benefiting from it.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones