Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
19:36 15th Dec, 2016
Netflix Strikes A Deal With Bollywood Star Shah Rukh Khan
Under this deal, Shah Rukh's movies will be exclusively available on Netflix.
The video streaming subscription business is still in its nascent stage in India. Yet, the race for supremacy in this emerging segment is already heating up. Just yesterday, Amazon launched its Prime Video streaming service in India. The e-commerce company will compete with Netflix and Hotstar. Amazon is off to a flying start thanks to aggressive pricing. Its yearly subscription costs Rs 499. In comparison, Netflix charges Rs 500 per month.
To counter this move, Netflix has sealed a deal with the Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan. Making an announcement, Netflix India tweeted this: "We are now the global home to the biggest Indian film star @iamsrk".
With the new deal, all the movies under Shah Rukh's production house Red Chillies will be exclusively available on Netflix. This also includes future releases for the next three years. Needless to say, SRK is one of the biggest draw for the Indian audience. However, it will be interesting to see if that's enough to offset the huge pricing difference between the two services.
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-