Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
16:55 24th Nov, 2016
Microsoft Holoportation Turns Star Wars Esque Communication Into A Reality
Telepresence could be the next step in video calls.
With some clever use of 3D capture, software wizardry, and Hololens, Microsoft has come a step closer to digital presence technology shown in science fiction movies such as Star Wars. In a recent update, the Software-giant has significantly cut the setup requirements.
As opposed to the early studio room experiment, Microsoft's engineers have managed to fit the entire rig in a car. Of course, it is meant to be used by the person sitting in a passenger seat. Nobody wants to divert a driver's attention right? According to the FAQs posted on the company's blog, the system requires only two cameras. One to capture the video and other to add depth information to it. To achieve better quality, you can increase the number of cameras. In addition to fitting the entire system in a car, the company had to deal with ever changing lighting and vibration.
To experience the holographic tele-presence, you will have to wear headsets such as Hololens or HTC Vive. Excited already? Don't forget to check out the demonstration video below:
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones