Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
02:45 22nd Nov, 2016
Flipkart Is Planning To Bet Big On Grocery And Furniture
India's top e-commerce website has interesting plans to one-up Amazon.
India's numero uno e-commerce player, Flipkart is planning to foray into the grocery delivery space. Additionally, the company will give a push to its furniture business. In an interview with Reuters, Flipkart's Chief Executive Binny Bansal said that, "There's definitely room to build a profitable grocery business, but it's hard. That doesn't mean it's not possible, but it's hard..."
Flipkart is planning to begin grocery sales next year. The company is then expected to scale up the operations for next three years. It will be competing with the current players such as BigBasket and Grofers. This comes in time when Ola gave up on its grocery business. Flipkart's biggest competitor, Amazon is already available in select cities.
Bansal added that Fashion remains the best selling category. Little wonder then that the company acquired fashion portals Myntra and Jabong. The surge in the popularity of services such Urban Ladder and Pepperfry has promoted Flipkart to get serious about its furniture segment.
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow