Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
02:45 22nd Nov, 2016
Flipkart Is Planning To Bet Big On Grocery And Furniture
India's top e-commerce website has interesting plans to one-up Amazon.
India's numero uno e-commerce player, Flipkart is planning to foray into the grocery delivery space. Additionally, the company will give a push to its furniture business. In an interview with Reuters, Flipkart's Chief Executive Binny Bansal said that, "There's definitely room to build a profitable grocery business, but it's hard. That doesn't mean it's not possible, but it's hard..."
Flipkart is planning to begin grocery sales next year. The company is then expected to scale up the operations for next three years. It will be competing with the current players such as BigBasket and Grofers. This comes in time when Ola gave up on its grocery business. Flipkart's biggest competitor, Amazon is already available in select cities.
Bansal added that Fashion remains the best selling category. Little wonder then that the company acquired fashion portals Myntra and Jabong. The surge in the popularity of services such Urban Ladder and Pepperfry has promoted Flipkart to get serious about its furniture segment.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones