Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
08:50 02nd Sep, 2016
IFA 2016: HTC A9s Is A Premium Phone With Poor Specs
The metal unibody handset comes with a MediaTek chipset.
With the HTC 10 already challenging the top-dog Galaxy S7 edge, the Taiwanese manufacturer is now using the IFA platform to showcase its mid-range offerings. The first such handset is the One A9s. The metal unibody handset looks so elegant that we forgive it for taking some "inspiration" from recent iPhones.
While we love its design, its the inclusion of a MediaTek chipset that worries me. So far my experience with MediaTek powered phones hasn't been pleasant by a long shot. Therefore, instead of an octa-core MediaTek Helio P10 SoC (System on Chip), I would have rather settled for a less powerful, but stable chip from Qualcomm. The phone has 2 GB RAM and 16 GB internal storage. The 3 GB variant comes with 32 GB internal storage. Both versions feature a microSD card slot that can add another 2 TB of storage.
The screen has always been a weak area for HTC, and this handset is no exception. The A9s sports a 5-inch HD LCD display. It does not even make use of IPS (In Pane Switching) technology, so rich colours and wide viewing angles are out of the question.
The 13-megapixel rear camera boasts of BSI sensor, which helps in low light. For selfies, there's a 5-megapixel snapper. In the audio department, the A9s offers BoomSound sound enhancement. Much like Samsung, the Taiwanese company has integrated the fingerprint sensor in the home key. The phone's other notable features include 4G LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, A-GPS (Assisted GPS), NFC (Near Field Communication), and 2300 mAh battery.
On the software front, the HTC One A9s offers Android 6.0 Marshmallow out-of-the-box. Of course, it comes with HTC's signature Sense UI, which is one of the nest Android customisations in the market. The HTC One A9s will be available in silver, gold, and black. As of this writing, the company hasn't shed any light on pricing and availability.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance