17:46 18th Jul, 2016
Google Scraps VR Headset Project For A Mixed AR/VR One Instead | TechTree.com
Google Scraps VR Headset Project For A Mixed AR/VR One Instead
Google seems to be putting its chips on a bigger number.
Virtual Reality is both the present and the future. It’s here, as well as not quite yet. At the Google I/O in May, Google unveiled Daydream, a mobile VR platform. The company has long been working on a high-end VR project that would compete with Oculus Rift and HTC. A recent report from Recode cited sources within the company who said that Google had shut down this project.
Even more recently, however, Endgadget reported that Google is in fact working on a standalone project: a headset that will merge Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality.
Anonymous sources told Engadget that the company has been assigning people to work on a high-end headset for a while now. It will reportedly not require a computer or phone to use it. While it does have a screen, it will offer features more in line with AR systems than existing VR headsets. No release date has been yet put forward, but it’s something the tech world will undoubtedly be keeping track of.
Members of the team have been told that Daydream does not fall within the company's long-term plan for virtual and augmented reality. It will however remain a major focus within Google, but it is actually a step towards something greater.
Daydream will only run on certain Android Nougat smartphones.
Image via PCMag
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals