09:47 20th May, 2016
Android To Power Cars Using Snapdragon Automotive Processors
Qualcomm Snapdragon 820A and 602A processors support new Google in-car platform demonstrated at Google I/O
Qualcomm Incorporated has announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., is working with Google on an initiative bringing the power of Android OS embedded directly into the car. The initiative aims to help car makers create powerful infotainment systems using Android as a common platform, making it easier to add connected services and applications while delivering a safer and more intuitive driving experience. The goal is to accelerate innovation in the car with an approach that offers openness, customization, and scale.
The concept car functions demonstrated at Google I/O run on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Automotive processor for connected cars and infotainment. With its power-efficient custom-designed CPU, stunning GPU performance, lightning fast X12 LTE modem capable of Cat 12 speeds, and powerful video processing capabilities, the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Automotive processor is empowering automakers with scalable solutions that are connected, smart and aware.Car manufacturers, automotive suppliers and developers can create Android-powered infotainment solutions using Automotive Development Platforms (ADP) for Snapdragon 820A and Snapdragon 602A processors. The ADPs, available for purchase through Intrinsyc, will provide access to the platform for developing, testing, optimizing and showcasing next-generation infotainment solutions. Using this platform, OEMs, developers and system integrators can significantly reduce their software development time and risk and begin final production software qualification earlier.
"Google is committed to building Android into a platform that fuels innovation in the automotive space," said Patrick Brady, director of Android engineering, Google. "We are in close collaboration with industry leaders such as Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. to bring the best of Android into the automobile in a safe and seamless way. This initiative represents the next step in bringing the power of an open platform and rich ecosystem that enables car makers to create powerful infotainment systems designed for the digital age."
"Snapdragon Automotive processors, combined with Android, will enable the automotive ecosystem to create cutting-edge connected car and infotainment platforms," said Nakul Duggal, vice president, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. "Android as the infotainment OS in the car will allow drivers and passengers to interact with their vehicles in new and exciting ways. We are pleased to be working with Google and the automotive ecosystem to usher in the next generation of in-car experiences."
Qualcomm Technologies and Google will be demonstrating the Android in-car concept powered by Snapdragon 820A processor in the Sandbox during Google on May 20th.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance