16:51 17th Sep, 2016
CycleBeads: An Android App To Track Menstrual Cycle
CycleBeads Android App is a period tracker designed for pregnancy prevention as well as family planning.
Conceiving a child, keeping a tab on erratic menstrual cycles and ovulation period has always plagued women across the world. The pressure stress and anticipation of pregnancy and periods lead to immense emotional and physical fatigue in women. Conceiving and prevention of pregnancy measures adopted by women are subjected to side effects which further exhausts women. Based on research insights, CycleBeads Android App has been designed to track menstrual cycle and is available in Hindi as well.
The CycleBeads app helps a woman know which days she is fertile and which days she is not, based on her period start dates. A woman enters her period dates and the app gives her the information she needs to prevent or plan pregnancy. This would empower women to better understand their body and be in control of their bodily changes. The app would largely benefit working women who can now plan pregnancy according to their will and avoid any accidental pregnancies.
Researchers from Georgetown University's Institute for Reproductive Health (IRH) in New Delhi are testing the usage and impact of this mobile technology in India. "This type of modern contraceptive method can help address a huge unmet family planning need for women here. We want to understand how women find out about it, their interest, and ongoing use," says Ramya Kancharla, IRH Country Manager, in New Delhi.
CycleBeads is a patented technology based on the Standard Days Method, a family planning method that was tested in large-scale efficacy trials and proven more than 95 per cent effective at preventing pregnancy when used correctly, and 88 per cent effective with typical use.
Classified as a "modern contraceptive method" by the World Health Organization (WHO) and other national and international medical advisors and is a widely used as a natural family planning option that has been used by approximately 5 million women worldwide in more than 60 countries, including India. The app has been designed for menstruating women between the age of 26 and 32 years.
"The CycleBeads app addresses many of the reasons women cite for not using contraception - it has no side effects, it allows women to plan ahead for their fertile days, and it is available for free to anyone with a smartphone," says Leslie Heyer, founder of Cycle Technologies, the company that developed the app. "CycleBeads apps have been used by many women worldwide, but we want to understand how it fits the unique needs of women in India."
The CycleBeads Android app can be downloaded for free on Google Play Store.
Cycle Technologies is renowned as a socially committed consumer product company based in Washington, D.C. The company creates comprehensive solutions to address global health needs. Since 2002 the company has worked with researchers, healthcare partners, and technologists to identify, develop solutions to women’s health issues.
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow