Hemanth H Iyer
09th Sep 2015
Every year, the best in the business of technology line showcase their latest products at the IFA (Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin) and the recently concluded one was no different.
A lot of eyes were on Sony, a major player in smartphone business, as they had drawn criticism for not bringing their best product during the CES 2015. Back then, Sony had launched the Xperia Z4, which was nothing more than a glorified Xperia Z3.
It looked like the Japanese manufacturers has taken the criticism seriously and wanted to make amends at the IFA 2015.
Sony launched three phones - Xperia Z5, Xperia Z5 Compact and a new Xperia Z5 Premium.
The Sony Xperia Z5:
The Xperia Z line-up is Sony’s waterproof and dustproof series. They are liked for their simplistic design and sturdy build. The Xperia Z5 comes with high-end specs that you can expect from a flagship phone.
It features a 5.2-inch LCD IPS display with a resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080). It is powered by a 64-bit octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 810, and includes 3GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, MicroSD slot for up to 200GB of additional storage (which is a huge plus), 2,900mAh battery (supposed to be a two-day battery ), and Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
The main camera now sports a 23-megapixel f 2.3 lens and features an auto focus time of only 0.03 seconds and optical image stabilization. The 5-megapixel front-facing camera should be perfect for all you selfie lovers.
An interesting addition to the Xperia Z5 is a new fingerprint sensor that resides in the power button. Also, Sony has replaced its iconic circular power button for a larger unique button.
There are a few concerns though:
1. How the 810 handles the heating issues with 4k recording and prolonged gaming
2. How the display will be in outdoors. Having used the Xperia Z1, Z2 & Z3 in the past, it would be interesting to see if the Z5 manages to “shine” in the outdoors
The Sony Xperia Z5 Compact:
Sony’s Compact line up has managed to keep it interesting for customers who prefer smaller phones. The Z5 Compact has a 4.6 inch IPS display with a resolution of 720p (1,280 x 720). The Z5 compact differs from the basic Xperia Z5 in a few areas. The RAM drops to 2GB, and the battery is 2,700mAh. But you still get the same high-quality cameras (front & back) and the 64-bit octa-core Snapdragon 810.
The Sony Xperia Z5 Premium:
The highlight of Sony’s smartphone line-up this year was definitely the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium. The Xperia Z5 Premium is the first smartphone with a 4K display.
The Z5 Premium is essentially the same phone as the Xperia Z5, but it shows its premium quality in the display department. It has a larger 5.5-inch display and the only phone to feature a UHD 4K (3,840 x 2,160) display! The Xperia Z5 Premium also packs a bigger 3,430mAh battery.
Do we really need a 4k display on a phone? What will the battery performance be like? Only time will tell.
IFA 2015: What Sony Brought to Berlin! | TechTree.com
IFA 2015: What Sony Brought to Berlin!
Along with Xperia Z5 and Xperia Z5 Compact Sony introduced Xperia Z5 Premium, which is the first smartphone with a 4K display
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals