02nd Sep 2015
If all those Zenfone 2 variants were not confusing enough, Asus has rolled out the Zenfone 2 Laser. And this too comes in three versions depending on the RAM capacity and screen size. The review unit we received is powered by the Snapdragon 410 chip and has 2 GB RAM. For those technically inclined, it is the ZE550KL-1B018WW model.
Asus seems to be short on designs, as the Zenfone 2 Laser looks exactly like the Zenfone 2. Not that the phone looks bad, but if all your phones priced between 10k to 20k look the same, then there's something wrong.
The phone looks a lot like the LG G3. Mostly because of the curved back and rear volume buttons. By moving these buttons to rear, Asus has managed to achieve thin sides.
Similar to the Zenfone 5, the Zenfone 2 Laser comes with a nice matte finish. In comparison, the Zenfone 2 had a slippery gloss finish.
The removable back-panel gives access to two micro-SIM and a microSD slot. The battery is also user replaceable.
The Zenfone 2 Laser comes with a 5.5-inch screen with 1280x720 pixels. The IPS (In Pane Switching) has good viewing angles. With Corning gorilla glass 4 protection, you don't have to worry about minor scratches.
The phone comes with a 13 megapixel rear camera with flash. The focusing mechanism is assisted by laser. Much like the more expensive LG G3 and G4. However, in use case scenario, I did not find the focusing to be quicker than the conventional smartphone camers. Plus, the 13 megapixel sensor does not live up to the expectation. Although the pictures pack-in a lot of detail, the noise plays a spoil sport.
On the software front, you get Android 5.0 (Lollipop) with Zen UI 2.0. The interface is similar to what was there on the Zenfone 5. However, this time around, it is more colourful.
For Rs 10,000, the Zenfone 2 Laser is a promising phone. Keep an eye out for the detailed review.
Hands On: Asus Zenfone 2 Laser
A quick look at yet another Zenfone from Asus.
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week