Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
20th May 2015
Building onto its existing OLED TV line-up, LG showcased a 55" panel that sticks to the wall with a magnetic mat. The new OLED TV is less than a millimetre thick (0.97 mm to be precise). The television tips the scales at 1.9 kg. To put things in perspective, an average 55-inch LCD (LED backlight TV) weighs in at around 18 kg.
LG may not be the numero uno TV manufacturer in the industry. However, the company is investing in the right technology. Rather than trying to improve the inferior LCD screens, the Korean-giant is betting big on the OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) panels.
OLED screens are what you see on phones such as Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Nokia Lumia 930, Lumia 1020, Lumia 800, and Apple Watch.
For those who don't know, OLED screens are emissive type that produce its own luminance. In simple words, unlike LCD screens, these displays don't require back-light. In OLED tech, each pixel lights up separately. So selectively pixels shut off is possible to render proper blacks. Because of this, can deliver accurate blacks and vibrant colours.
Currently, LG seems to be the only big brand pushing OLED tech in televisions. It plans to introduce even bigger panels within a year — as big as 99-inch.
The company plans to bring its POLED (Plastic OLED) technology to the small and mid-range category. If the company manages to deliver a 42-inch OLED, middle class buyers in India will get a viable option to the inferior LCD TVs after the demise of Plasma.
LG Showcases An Incredibly Thin 55-Inch "Wallpaper" OLED TV | TechTree.com
LG Showcases An Incredibly Thin 55-Inch "Wallpaper" OLED TV
The panel is less than a millimetre thin and weighs in 1.9 kg.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals