Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
24th Apr 2015
Once insanely popular, PMPs (Portable Media Players) have taken a hit due to dirt-cheap smartphones. For most people, it doesn't make sense to buy an additional device when their mobiles are quite good at media consumption. Plus, smartphones can not only play tracks, but also download them. However, PMPs still have an edge over smartphones when it comes to compactness. Especially when phones are getting bigger with each passing day. So if you're looking for something to enjoy music during workouts or outdoor activity, here's what you should consider. Since you get a decent smartphone for 7k, we have only included PMPs that cost less than Rs 5000. Last Updated: 24-April, 2015.
Street Price: Rs 400
If you're on a shoestring budget, Zebronics Stem is a great option. The player supports MP3 and WMA audio formats. The Stem doesn't come with the internal storage, but can take up to 32 GB microSD card. The music is strictly average. But the, you cant really expect anything better for Rs 400.
Philips GoGear Mini Dot 2 GB
Street Price: Rs 1400
Designed by the Dutch guys, GoGear Mini Dot stands out due to its unique form factor. The media player comes in bold colours, yet manages to look elegant. The internal storage is 2 GB, which is enough to store over 500 MP3s. On a single charge, the Mini Dot offers six hours of playback. FM radio support is an added bonus.
iPod Shuffle 2 GB
Street Price: Rs 2300
This tiny media player is perhaps the most affordable Apple device currently available in the market. It features a clean design and friendly controls. For Rs 2300, the sound quality is very good. Plus, you get bragging rights of owning Apple's product 'Designed in California'.
Philips GoGear Action 4 GB
Street Price: Rs 3700
If you're adventurous types, the GoGear Action is ideal for you. It's basically a hands-free with a music player squeezed into it. The Netherland-based company assures that this player can withstand water, dust, and a few drops. To keep track of calories, the GoGear Action comes with a Pedometer. Its 4 GB storage can hold around 900 tracks. On a single charge, it can last for up to 12 hours.
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB
Street Price: Rs 4100
There's not a single PMP in this price tag that can match the sound quality of Sansa Clip+. In fact, the Clip+ sounds better than most media players that sport a much higher price tag. The media player has 4 GB of internal storage. You can expand it further via a microSD card slot. What's more, it comes with FM radio and voice recorder.
Five Affordable Portable Media Players For Music Lovers
A list of value PMPs under Rs 5000.
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch