30th Aug 2012
This was originally on Gizmodo, so we can’t be sure if the scans are real: Apple’s (secret) Employee Training Manual. But it’s everywhere on the Net now, so it must be true.
Take a look. The Training Manual is for Apple salespeople cheerfully and empathetically selling Apple Computers, but – as Gizmodo puts it – “The manual could easily serve as the Humanity 101 textbook for a robot university.”
Here’s one page from the manual you’ve got to love (and it is about love and empathy). Right at the top of the page, Apple’s salespeople are taught: “There are some learnable phrases which suggest empathy.”
Most of the Secret Manual is about how salespeople can sync their good vibes with yours all the time, thereby manipulating a purchase by auto-detecting your core and peripheral emotions.
If you’ve taken a look (and we hope you do), here’s our actual take on the “leaked” Manual – the guy at Gizmodo is pumping up the volume a bit too high. Making commodities out of people (and vice-versa) is pretty much the norm at call centres and large stores, and we’re all getting there anyway.
The best part of a post like this is, of course, the comments. One of them, by a former Apple employee, says the intent of the training is not to manipulate, but to teach “time honored approaches to good customer service and human interaction.” But there’s a damning piece of evidence out there: The line in the manual that goes “There are some learnable phrases which suggest empathy...” (Our emphasis; the Manual wouldn't emphasise that word.)
Another response to the Manual goes: “The BORG manual. Resistance seems futile...” Well, Apple has just perfected the art of customer service.
And finally, there’s one comment against the guy who put out the scanned pages: “You (just did this to) garner a few page views.” It should be pretty obvious that that’s why we put this up too.
TechTree Blog: I, Robot — Apple Employees Taught To Emote!
Secret Training Manual includes psychological profiling, emotion detection brainware.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones