18th Mar 2022
During a talk at SXSW, Mark Zuckerberg confirmed that NFTs will soon be available on Instagram.
“We're working on bringing NFTs to Instagram in the near term. I'm not ready to kind of announce exactly what that's going to be today. But over the next several months, the ability to bring some of your NFTs in, hopefully over time be able to mint things within that environment.” – Mark Zuckerberg
But nobody knows the details – when it’ll happen, how it’ll happen, or what it will look like.
“I would hope that you know, the clothing that your avatar is wearing in the metaverse, you know, can be basically minted as an NFT and you can take it between your different places.” Zuckerberg continued. “There's like a bunch of technical things that need to get worked out before that'll really be seamless to happen.”
Well, that sounds great, doesn’t it? Minting digital clothes that can be taken anywhere.
An NFT is essentially an exclusive item with a unique code. You can buy, sell or trade NFTs. Instagram shopping is already a thing so adding NFTs makes sense, but it’s still a burden on users who don’t want to shop or deal with NFTs. Most Instagram users just want to share photos/reels/memes with each other.
Perhaps the only person who will be happy with this feature is Mark Zuckerberg himself. He claims that most of the stuff he wears was purchased from Instagram or Facebook.
And apparently, he stopped buying/wearing gray t-shirts every day (he also confirmed he owns more than one gray t-shirt).
Here’s why he used to wear gray everyday:
"I really want to clear my life to make it so that I have to make as few decisions as possible about anything except how to best serve this community. I'm in this really lucky position, where I get to wake up every day and help serve more than a billion people. And I feel like I'm not doing my job if I spend any of my energy on things that are silly or frivolous about my life.”
Oh, now it makes sense. He wants to “serve” the community by making us buy “silly or frivolous” stuff we don’t need. It’s us, the consumers, that are truly in the “lucky position”.
Instagram to burden users with NFTs | TechTree.com
Instagram to burden users with NFTs
Instagram will soon allow users to buy, sell, and “mint” NFTs.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals