25th Jul 2016
Three years ago, on the 24th of July Google introduced this little fella, who was hailed as the every man’s streaming gadget. There is no doubt about that Chromecast still remains the humble guy in affordability and availability. For over three years and many more to come, Chromecast will be a part of our lives and we will look forward to new features and upgrades in the days to come.
A report published by Strategy Analytics Connected Home Devices (CHD) stated that Amazon, Apple, Google and Roku accounted for more than 8 out of every 10 Digital Media Streamer shipments worldwide in 2015, while Google's low-cost HDMI dongle continued to lead the standalone streamer market and is among the top five players.
David Watkins, Service Director, Connected Home Devices service said, "Google's puck sized Chromecast dongle continues to have broad appeal with consumers who favor its mobile-centric approach to content access and control. The device's portability and low price at just $35 has made it an impulse purchase for many and household ownership of multiple Chromecasts is not uncommon. However, the mobile device is not necessarily the center of the universe for everyone and devices such as Apple TV, Roku and the Amazon Fire TV continue to prove popular with those looking for a more traditional remote-based and UI driven TV experience."
The second generation of Chromecast was unveiled on September 29th 2015 along with Chromecast Audio as Google stopped the production and sale of the first generation Chromecast. Earlier this year the internet streaming gadget along with Chromecast Audio was launched in India for a price of INR 3,399. Despite competition from Amazon Fire Stick, Roku Stick, Chromecast is here to stay and now that Google has incorporated Cast Support into Chrome, Chromecast will live long.
The Humble Chromecast Turns Three, Happy Birthday! | TechTree.com
The Humble Chromecast Turns Three, Happy Birthday!
A little device that changed the way we streamed our favourite content.
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals
- Europe may require all phone manufacturers to use USB-C charging
- Amazon Announces Prime Video Channels – A Video Entertainment Marketplace in India