25th Jul 2016
It’s been over two years since Corning revealed Gorilla Glass 4 assuring users to keep phones protected from falling and rough weather. Now the company is back with a new version that can withstand even higher falls. The new version, the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 will survive drops from up to 1.6 meters (a little over five feet) about 80 per cent of the time, it claims.
The new cover glass is designed to provide further protection against breakage from everyday drops. The company says that rigorous lab tests show that Gorilla Glass 5 survives drops onto rough, unforgiving surfaces up to four times better than competitive glass designs.
According to a recent global study, over 85 per cent of smartphone owners have dropped their phones at least once per year and 55 per cent have dropped their phones three times or more. Additionally, more than 60 per cent of smartphone owners reported dropping their devices between shoulder and waist height.
In lab tests by the company, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 survived up to 80 per cent of the time when dropped face-down from 1.6 meters onto rough surfaces.
“What will define the performance of the overall device on those types of corner drops is stiffness of the phone design, but also how the glass is packaged. Much of this is dependent on what’s known as the ‘proudness’ of the glass, which refers to how high above the phone the glass sits,” said Vice-President and General Manager of Corning John Bayne.
After the 2007 success story of their first iteration of the Gorilla Glass, virtually each year, Corning has worked on the durability factor, and also scratch resistance, which are increasingly common in phone maker demands.
The company says that there are 4.5 billion devices around already, which have the Gorilla Glass 5, and the numbers are set to go up. Names like LG, HTC, Samsung, Asus, HP, and Huawei have trusted this glass, and more names are also there, that are buying the glass for their devices.
Newer Stronger Gorilla Glass Will Soon Protect Your Next Smartphones | TechTree.com
Newer Stronger Gorilla Glass Will Soon Protect Your Next Smartphones
Corning Gorilla Glass 5 will survive drops from up to 1.6 meters (a little over five feet) about 80 per cent of the time
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance