14th Jul 2020
American law firm BakerHostetler has hired ROSS, a robot lawyer, to assist in bankruptcy cases. ROSS, who is powered by IBM’s Watson technology, will serve as a legal researcher for the firm. Legal researcher jobs are typically filled by fresh law school graduates embarking upon their careers.
“ROSS surfaces relevant passages of law and then allows lawyers to interact with them. Lawyers can either enforce ROSS’s hypothesis or get it to question its hypothesis,” Andrew Arruda, chief executive of ROSS Intelligence, told The Washington Post. “Until now, lawyers have been using static pieces of software to navigate the law, which are limited and put hours of information retrieval tasks on a lawyer’s plate."
About 80% of Americans who require a lawyer simply can't afford one, Arruda says, despite the country having a surplus of attorneys. So ‘employing’ AI lawyers like ROSS could allow law firms to charge lower fees since they wouldn't be paying anything. (Because what could you pay an AI? A paintjob?)
Thus, all law firms could use the power of AI for the purpose of Justice.
Not to mention, ROSS could come in pretty handy in court battles. As an AI built by a neutral third party, he’s pretty much programmed to be impartial, which means both sides could use him to look up relevant legal details and rulings of a long-buried case from 50 years ago. Now this doesn’t mean you don’t do your homework, of course.
What’s even more impressive is that ROSS doesn’t communicate in machine-lingo or computer-speak, but in everyday English. The challenge in building ROSS, Arruda says, was finding a way to make it as intuitive as an actual colleague. That meant programming it to respond to people's normal manner of speaking, not just keyword-loaded fragments.
You know what that reminds me of? JARVIS. Tony Stark’s trusty AI who kinda-sorta became…
Image from: USA Today
Take a look at ROSS, now.
Image from: Mail Online
Look somewhat… related?
Wow. It really is the future. JARVIS is real, I can WhatsApp from space, and computers weigh less than I do. What’s next?
I call time-travel.
Meet ROSS, The World’s First AI Lawyer
It can do everything but fetch you coffee.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance